This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn some money if you click on one. I only link to things I know, use, love or want to buy for myself. Thank you for supporting Little Gold Pixel!
Welcome to this month’s Feminist Friday, where I round up some of the best thought-provoking links, and we can discuss what’s going on in the zeitgeist. Our motto here: Feminism is for everyone.
Did you know that there are 5,000 employees who are tasked with coming up with responses for the Amazon Echo?
I found this read fascinating — on what “Alexa” chooses to respond to, on what she gets snarky about, on what she takes seriously.
For instance, if you call her a rude name, she will curtly say, “I’m not going to respond to that.”
And if you ask whether she’s a feminist?
Feminist News Link Roundup
All the links that are worth clicking on this week. Some are serious, some are satire. All are food for thought.
- When Barbie went to war with Bratz. Also: Inside Barbie’s fight to stay relevant.
- The perils of using fashion for protest.
- The poorly reported Aziz Ansari exposé was a missed opportunity.
- Ellen Pompeo on how she got what she wanted. And she curses like a sailor. Love it.
- Black women do not exist to save you.
- Money Diaries, Where Millennial Women Go to Judge One Another’s Spending Habits
- Email Etiquette: “Hey Ladies” vs. “Hey Guys,” the Dilemma. (I say “Hi all” myself.)
- The Ferocious, Sublime Dolores O’Riordan, of the Cranberries
- I Made the Pizza Cinnamon Rolls from Mario Batali’s Sexual Misconduct Apology Letter.
- #MeToo isn’t enough. Now women need to get ugly.
- The Troubling Lack Of Plus-Sized CEOs.
- Why start a magazine “for women who love cannabis”?
- The women who took on the mafia.
- The Forgotten Hillary Clinton Voter: A Profile Of The Not-So-Silent Majority.
- Women Aren’t Nags—We’re Just Fed Up. On the hard-to-explain concept of emotional labor.
- Hi, it’s us, all the 14-year-old girls in America.
- Women Leaders Share Moments Of 2017 That Redefined Their Roles
- Books written by women that I’ve added to my TBR list this week: This Will Be My Undoing, What Happened, Young Jane Young, Swearing is Good for You, Red Clocks
Feminist Art You Might Like
Print these out and take them with you to the Women’s March this weekend.